Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Chapter 49-50

                                                                             49.

“I track her into the mountains she loved
Watch her from the rocks above
She'd dip her neck and drink from the winter flows
My silver palomino
Our mustaneros were the very best, sir
But they could never lay a rope on her
No corral will ever hold
The silver palomino”

Bruce Springsteen

 

When Kristin had stopped crying they talked. Really truly talked to each other as grown-ups. Talked for the first time about all that lay in between them. First carefully, opened one memory at the time. Folded away the tissue paper and looked at them one by one. The wonderful, glimmering ones and the haunting painful ones.

Was it that years had passed? Was it that Kristin also was a mother? Was it that she knew now what passion can make you do? For every memory they dissected, she felt closer to her mother, she started to understand, she started to see her as a woman and not just her mother.

As they talked her mother cooked dinner and they talked through the whole meal. Her mother cried and Kristin cried. But it wasn’t an overwhelming cry, simply a cry to put weight behind the words.  When the sun set both of them were exhausted.

When Kristin got undressed to go to bed, the paper with George Hemstad’s address fell on the floor. She picked it up, held it in her hand, felt the weight of the paper, caressed the crease and decided that she would go early tomorrow morning to see him. And she decided to not tell her mother, not now when they had finally found some stable ground to meet on.

She picked up the diary from the floor, crawled under the blanket and kept reading. The passion and the love her grandmother felt for George was strong but through all the secret meetings and the fiery sex she kept saying how she loved her husband. By the end of July, when her period didn’t start she had realized what happened. Her grandmother’s panic was tangible and her thoughts ran across the paper. A scared kitten chased by a dog. After many pages of frantic writing she had come to a decision. Her place was on the farm with Albert and the baby in her belly was theirs. No one else’s!

When George left in September she finally told Albert. At first they were cautious, the shadows of too many miscarriages blocked out the sunny happiness. But as the late summer turned into fall and then winter, the joy grew. Then among the pages was a note with her grandfather’s neat handwriting.

My dearest Kristin,

I started to read your diaries because I missed you so. I have to confess that I was shocked when I found out what happened the summer when George was here. At first I was greatly disappointed but after a few days I realized that it doesn’t matter. You loved me, I loved you and Linda will always be our daughter.

She is 15 years old now and a very sweet and good girl. I do worry about her and wish you were here now. She needs a mother more and more for everyday she grows into a young woman.

I love you my dearest Kristin and miss you every day.

Yours always Albert

Kristin sniffled as she read, then she folded the note and tucked it back into the diary and lay down with it next to her and fell asleep.  

When her phone buzzed under her pillow she was pulled out of a deep dream, it was a pleasant dream but she couldn’t remember it. Careful not to wake her mother she tiptoed downstairs, grabbed her toiletries in the bathroom and walked out in the kitchen. She closed the door behind her and washed up by the kitchen sink, put on some mascara and brushed her hair before she did a French braid. Made two sandwiches and grabbed a bottle of water. Wrote a reassuring note to her mother and left the house.

The morning was cold and the sun had started to rise as she got in the car and turned on the GPS.

She drove slowly down the street, one ranch house after another. She carefully looked for the house numbers. 142, 144, 146, the next one should be his. She parked the car on the other side of the street and walked slowly across.  An old man was cutting branches off a bush on the side of 148. She looked at him, tried to remember the man she met almost 30 years ago.

To me he was old then, but he wasn’t much older than Robert is now.

The midmorning light was bright and the sun made his white hair shine.

“Excuse me,” she called out and the man turned around and looked at her, “I’m looking for George Hemstad.”

The man took a few steps closer to her and put his hand behind his ear. She raised her voice.

“I’m looking for George Hemstad.”

He took down his hand and smiled.

“That should be me,” He reached out his hand towards her and she took it, “And who are you, young lady.”

“I’m Kristin, the granddaughter of Kristin Berger from,” Then she stopped because George’s smile faded and he looked a bit pale. “We met at my grandfather’s funeral.”

He nodded and let go of her hand.

“Yes, yes,” he said quietly and looked at her face. The same greenish, brownish, yellowish eyes, the same as hers. The same as Anna’s.

“You know that…” she didn’t say anymore because he nodded slowly.

“Yes, I know,” he sighed deeply, “let’s go inside.”


They walked up on the porch; the door was open letting the fresh spring air into the house. He opened the screen door for her and let her in. The house was well kept, light and airy with oak floors and big glass doors from the living room out to the backyard.

“Why don’t you sit down and I will make some coffee.”

She walked over to the couch next to the glass doors and sat down. Behind her was a dining room table and in front of her a fireplace with a big wooden mantel. On top of the mantel were several framed photographs of George and who she presumed was his wife and children. A wedding picture stood in the middle and she strained her eyes to make out how the wife looked , all she saw was a dainty woman with dark hair.

After about five minutes George carried in a tray with two coffee cups, a saucer with milk and a small plate with cookies. She thought the coffee cups were Meakin, they looked familiar with their geometric pattern of turquoise and beige.

She took one cup and a cookie, the coffee was good, robust but not too strong.

“So,” George said after he had taken a sip of his coffee, “what brings you here?”

“I read my grandmother’s diary and,” she hesitated, “I never knew her and maybe you could tell me about her,” she stopped again, “and you are my grandfather after all.”

And it would be nice if something made any sense. Anything! I thought a man loved me and he didn't.  My little sister was molested and murdered. My grandpa wasn't my grandpa.  Please tell me something real, something human. Something that makes sense.

He looked down at his hands for a moment and spun his wedding band a few times. “I met Caroline, my wife, the second year in college. We got engaged and we were going to get married as soon as I was done with my education and had a job.” He lifted his head and looked at her. “Your grandmother, Kristin,” he smiled softly, “she was different from any woman I ever had met. I was a city boy and she,” he huffed, “she was like a creature from the forest, wild and strong.”

He took another sip of his coffee before he continued.

“You look a lot like her, or at least the way I remember her.” His eyes glided over her face and then his gaze got distant.” She always had this dog with her, a brown scruffy dog with yellow eyes. Followed her everywhere, sometimes I even got the impression they talked to each other. She used to sit down and put her hands around the dog’s face and they looked at each other for a long time,” he sighed deeply, “mesmerizing.”

“Were you in love with her?”
He looked at her face again, blinked a few times to get back to the present.
“Hell, yeah.”
Kristin laughed out of shock over the choice of words. He laughed too and pulled a hand through his hair.
“For me it was love at first sight, an instant connection. I was doomed!”
Kristin sighed now, her stomach got tight and uncomfortable.
Don’t think about Robert now. Don’t!

“What else did she do?”
“She rode bareback on those Indian ponies they kept. Just took off out in the woods for hours sometimes. And she chopped wood and dug in the garden.” He stopped and picked up the plate with cookies and held  it towards her, she shook her head, “Where I came from women didn’t do those things. She even went hunting with Albert; I believe she knew the forest better than he did.”

Every word was a glimmering jewel she gently picked up and placed inside her heart.
My grandmother I never knew was like me, in more than one way, she also betrayed her husband.
“I don’t want to sound judgmental, but in those days,” she searched for words, “I mean, I thought that maybe people were less prone to cheat.”

He laughed again, louder than before.
“People are always people no matter when they live, and I never saw what we did as something wrong,” he shrugged his shoulders, “to me it was perfect. Short but wonderful.”

“Did you guess? I mean when you left that…”
“No!” George interrupted her. “I had no idea. If I had known,” he stopped and shook his head, “it is so long ago, almost hard to recall. But if I had known before I got married I would have,” he stopped again, “but to be honest I’m not sure Kristin would have left Albert.”

Kristin shook her head.
"No,” she said, “I don’t think so either.”

He looked surprised.
“I read her diary,” she shook her head, “I don’t think she would have left my grandfather. She loved him too.”
George nodded.
“I know that, and when I came back to Caroline the love I felt for Kristin faded. Slowly but it faded, it’s very hard to keep a fire burning without wood. And my life was good, I loved my wife too but I never stopped loving Kristin,” he shook his head firmly, “never. I don’t think many days have passed in my life since when I haven’t thought about her. Of course life distracts you but there was always something that reminded me of her.”

He looked out the window and sat quiet for a minute.
I wonder what I have from you except for my hazel eyes.

“A girl with flaming red hair would walk by and I thought of her. Or a big brown dog, an Indian pony, the smell of pine trees, cold lemonade, swimming in a lake, fresh cream and strawberries, all of it made me think of her.”

Scrambled eggs, train rides, the City skyline, apple blossom, lions, Maine, broad shouldered men with greyish hair and freaking computers. 
“When I first came home I anxiously opened every letter and ran to the phone like a madman, thinking it would be her,” he rubbed his chin, “but of course it never was. Then I got married, became a father and all of it became a mirage. But I never forgot her and I never regretted what we had,” he shook his head again, “she always had a place in my heart and I always cherished those few months we had. When she died,” he closed his eyes for a moment, “it was heartbreaking, and I couldn’t show anything.”

Kristin looked out the window and thought of Robert. Thought of those few weeks they had shared. The burning passion and the close connection.
If months can last a lifetime, how long can a few weeks last?
She tried to shake the thought of him out of her mind, tried to focus on the man in front of her, her real grandfather.

“When did you find out that she was pregnant?”

He smiled a sad, forlorn smile.

“I didn’t know until she died and then.” He put a hand over his eyes for a moment. “Of course the thought of the child being mine but…” Sadness flared up in his face. “Then when Albert died his lawyer called me the same day and told me.”
“Wow that must have been a shock for you. And then you came to the funeral.”

“Yes, he wanted me to do the funeral and to see Linda. I wonder how he found out?”
“He read it in the diary when my mother was 15, but he never told her. And I didn’t know until a few days ago.”
George looked out the window again.
“Albert Berger was an extraordinary man!” he said without taking his eyes from the window.
“Yes,” she said and the grief for her grandpa flared up inside of her, fresh and burning, “I still miss him.”

Both of them sat quiet, Kristin peeked at him, tried to see herself in the old man, but she couldn’t.
“I thought about telling her then,” he pinched the fabric of his pants, “your mother. But her grief was so strong, so fresh I didn’t do it.”
He looked over at her with a question lingering in his eyes.
“She could use a friend,” Kristin said.
George nodded but didn’t say anything.

They drank some more coffee in silence. George hummed a few times and cleared his throat.
“I wrote so many love poems about Kristin. I guess you should have them,” he said more to himself than to her, “would you like them?” He turned his face towards her.
“Yes, please,” she nodded enthusiastically, “I would love them.”
“Hmm,” he said and got up, “I have them in a box in the attic. Perhaps you could go up there and get them. I don’t trust these old legs anymore,” he patted his thighs,” climbing ladders.”
“Sure,” she said and stood up.

 

They walked into the kitchen and he opened a door to a small mudroom, he stopped and pointed up to the ceiling.

“The attic is over the garage. We have to pull down the door and then the ladder will come with it.”

He reached over to a long stick with a hook on the end and grabbed the ring in the door on the ceiling and pulled. Down came the door and the ladder.

“Here,” he said and gave her a flashlight, “All the way in the back is a green box marked “Lake Country”.

 

She climbed up the ladder and turned on the flashlight. The attic was very neat and organized with boxes in rows. Each box had a number and a year written with black pen.

Wow, I wish I had inherited this from him or maybe it was his wife who was this neat. My sock draw looks like the archetypal image of chaos compared to this. And that is socks!

All the way in the back she found the green box; it wasn’t very big or heavy so she had no problem carrying it down the ladder again.

 He placed it on the dining room table and opened it.

“Hmm, let’s see.” He picked up a few notebooks and put them on the table, then he picked up a dark blue, he held it in his hands, caressed it and then handed it to Kristin.” This is the one.”

She took it softly in her hands, on the front he had written “Song of Salomon 8:6-7” .

“I was very romantic then, passionately in love with her and young,” he chuckled a little, “well you will see.”

 After a few more minutes of small talk Kristin said she needed to get going home. She gave him her mother’s phone number and he said he would call soon. They stood and looked at each other for a minute and he reached out his hand and caressed her cheek.

“Whatever you have from her,” his voice cracked, “whatever it is it is a marvelous thing.”

In the car she texted Jonas and asked if their mother and her could come for Sunday dinner later and asked him to call their mother. She texted John and said she would call later. She stuffed the notebook with George's poems in the glove compartment.  

She turned up the music and drove away from George’s house. Her mind was blank, worn out from the last month’s drama and truth bearing. After about an hour she stopped at a rest stop, went to the bathroom and grabbed something to eat.

 

 
                                                                              50.

“You never find yourself until you face the truth”

Pearl Bailey

 

When she turned down the road to the farm she was dog tired, she couldn’t see her mother’s car in the yard and she sighed with relief. Too tired to see anyone at the moment she simply put back the seat, pulled her jacket on top and fell asleep.

Knock, knock, knock. Oh, she so didn’t want to wake up. She opened one eye, then the other. Holly and James stood outside the car with their noses pressed against the glass. Holly’s finger tapped on the window.

“Wake up Aunt Kristin.”

She sat up and looked at the two children who now smiled at her. She was groggy after her deep, motionless nap and slightly nauseous. She opened the door and got out.

“Hi kids.”

“Why did you sleep in the car?”

James looked up at her.

“Why didn’t you come in the house, you could have slept in my bed.”

She sat down on the ground and put out her arms.

“Can I have a hug?”

James walked into her arms and when she hugged him she longed for Anna and Jack. A stomach turning longing.

“I was so tired I just fell asleep in the car.” She turned to Holly, who looked exactly like her mother with wild blonde hair and big blue eyes. A mini-Heidi. “Your turn!”

Holly gave her a hug and then she took her hand.

“Oma is already here. Daddy has made meatballs and mashed potatoes and me and James and mommy made apple pie.”

James took her other hand.

“And we will have ice cream.”

She squeezed both their hands.

“Sounds yummy.”

“Why didn’t Anna and Jack come?”

Holly dragged her by the hand.

“Next time.” Kristin said and the girl nodded.

“Albert cries a lot.” James said, let go of her hand and jumped up on the stoop.

“Babies do that,” she said, “you cried a lot when you were a baby.”

James looked offended.  

“Not like that.”

Kristin laughed and nodded her head.

I should come here more often.

 

Her mother stood on the kitchen floor with a sleeping Albert in her arms. She rocked slowly back and forth on her heels.

“Just like Jonas,” she said and smiled, “as soon as I put him down he would wake up and start crying.”

Kristin stood still and looked at her mother and realized that she had been angry with her for longer than she could remember but yesterday had chipped away on the anger. And under all that anger was love.

“Where did you go this morning?” Her mother asked.

Kristin hesitated, thought about George and his promise to call.

What would hurt more? If I told her and he never called? Or that I didn’t tell her and she found out that I knew?

Her brain was sluggish, had used up all its energy, couldn’t make any more decisions.

“I just needed some time to think.”

Her mother nodded and kept rocking back and forth on her heals.

At the dinner table everybody said some kind of version of “How nice this is. We should get together more often”.  

The kids ate fast and then they ran out the door with the dogs. James came in two minutes later with a nervous look on his face.

“Don’t forget to call us when it is time for dessert.”

The grown-ups laughed and reassured him before he took off.

Heidi nursed Albert, their mother went out to the kids and Jonas and Kristin cleaned up. The sense of belonging, the sense of ease, the sense of effortlessness was strong. Kristin and Jonas moved around each other without bumping into one another or leaving anything behind. What one missed the other one took without either uttering a sound.

“Mom told me something about dad yesterday.” They were almost done; Kristin was only going to wipe the table.

Jonas stopped what he was doing.

“Yeah, what?”

“I don’t know if she wants to tell you herself…” she stopped and looked at him.

He laughed and shook his head.

“Doubt it! We are not very big talkers , mom and me.”

“But if she does tell you…”

He nodded.

“Yes, I will pretend I didn’t know anything.”

She started slow so he would be able to grasp what she said. He grew paler as she spoke.

“Fuck!” he said when she was done. “Fuck!” He took a few steps on the floor.

He left the kitchen abruptly and Kristin heard the door slam.

“Fritz was one scary creep,” Heidi’s voice was angry, “he got what he deserved.”

Kristin went over to the doorway into the living room. Heidi lay on her side with Albert latched onto her breast.

“Yeah, weird how everybody disliked him and no one…” She didn’t know how to continue.

Heidi picked up Albert and sat up and put him to the other breast. He whimpered a little until he found the nipple.

“Jonas probably told you that my grandfather was in charge of both Teresa’s and Emma’s case? He was the only one who thought someone drowned those girls, everybody else on the force seemed to not care.”

Kristin shook her head, trying not to think about Emma in the hands of Fritz. Three year old Emma with the blond hair and the big blue eyes. And now Jonas knew, sensitive Jonas who fled into Scooby Doo when the world around them was hard to handle.

“I have to find Jonas.”

She ran out the door and looked in the yard. He wasn’t there; saw her mother and the kids by the swing set. Hedda came up to her. Kristin sat down and put her hands around the dog’s face.

“Where is Jonas? Can you find him? Where is he? “

The dog whimpered and took off, she ran after. Across the yard to the barn, around the barn to the ramp up to the hayloft, the dog ran up the ramp and in the cracked door. Kristin put her head in the door, at first she saw nothing in the dim light but then she could make out Jonas. He was sitting on top of the last hay from the year before. She walked in and was embraced by the smell of summer. She knew he had heard her but he did not acknowledge her presence.

She climbed up to the top, he sat with his arms around his knees and his face pressed into his legs. She knew that he had been crying.

“Jonas,” she whispered, “Jonas, I am sorry I just told you like that.”

He was quiet and she didn’t try to press an answer out of him.

“She was only three,” he said into his legs, “a tiny little girl.”

Kristin sat down next to him and put an arm across his back.

“I know,” she still whispered, “it is horrible.”

Jonas got up so fast she was about to topple over.

“What a fucking disgusting piece of shit! If he wasn’t dead...” He stopped short; breathing heavily withh is arms raised and his hands in fists. Then his arms sank down and he lowered his head.

“What a fucking life we have, sis.”

He sat down next to her again.

“Maybe I shouldn’t have told you?”

He turned his head and looked at her, his eyes were dazed just like when he was a child and things were hard to handle. He blinked a few times and the grown up Jonas came into focus again.

“It’s ok, it was just a shock. Better to know,” he stopped talking for a moment, “about dad at least.”

Kristin nodded and picked up a hay straw.

“Yeah, things are not always what they seem.”

Jonas chuckled and put his arm around her shoulders and she leaned into him.

“What shall we do?” she asked.

“Nothing much to do now, too long ago.”

Kristin pulled the hay straw through her fingers, deep in thought. Looked at the golden beige straw as it slithered in between the fingers.

“Robert said I was a good writer.”

“What?” Jonas voice sounded distant.

“Robert said I was a good writer.”

“So?”

“I think I will write a book about it all.”

Jonas moved away from her and looked at her.

“A book about what?”

She stood up, suddenly filled with fire.

“A book about us. And Emma and dad.”

And grandma and grandpa and George too.

Jonas smiled at her and shook his head.

“A book! Of course sis!”

 

After dessert Kristin and her mother went home. She finally got hold of John and the kids, even Anna was willing to talk to her this time.

They sat by the TV and watched a program on Showtime, normally Kristin was intrigued but today she was too tired.

Should I tell my mother about George? I can’t take more drama this weekend. I can’t! Uh, that is actually a good decision. I don’t have to do everything for everybody. I don’t have to sacrifice myself. I can choose to not put myself in hard situations. I actually have power over my own life.

She looked at her watch, 7:30, she stretched and sat up.

“I am going to bed.”

“Ok, sweetheart. See you tomorrow!”

She bent down and gave her mother a kiss on the head.

“Yes, mom, see you tomorrow.”


Her grandmother’s diaries lay exactly where she left them that morning. She found 1957 and searched for her mother’s birthday.

 

Dear Diary,                                                 April 1st, 1957

 

Yesterday we brought home our wonderful daughter. She is tiny, precious, perfect. 

I would lie if I said labor was easy. The pain was different than any other pain I ever felt. Not a pain caused by a sickness. Yes, it hurt, horrible pain but I knew the pain was for something good. Something would come out of the pain, something wonderful.

When I got to hold her in my arms and she opened her big blue eyes, the pain disappeared. She has a tiny tuft of red hair on top of her head.  I put her to my breast and she drank. The nurses told me to stop, told me that they had formula but my doctor told me that I should keep nursing her. He thinks that my body knows exactly what my baby needs. I heard the nurses saying that he is just an old man stuck in the old ways, but I feel such a closeness when she lies by my breast I can’t even comprehend to give her a bottle.

Oh, my beloved Albert cried when he held her in his arms for the first time. He caressed her cheek so carefully and looked at me. He has waited so long for her.

She sleeps in Albert’s old cradle next to our bed and last night I spent far too much time watching her sleep instead of sleeping myself. I was afraid I wouldn’t wake up if she needed me. Albert kept telling me that he was sure she would let us know if she needed us.

Today Mrs. Henke is coming to help me a little with the household. Albert had to go to church this morning for a funeral but he promised to be back as soon as he could.

Oh, she is waking up!


Yours Truly,

Kristin

 

 

Dear Diary,                                         April 7th 1957

 

The days fly by now when I have our little girl in the house. She is the most precious little baby and I spend so much of my time simply staring at her. We have decided to call her Linda and Albert asked if we couldn’t give her his mother’s name as a second name. I truly didn’t want to but I couldn’t say no. So her name will be Linda Annalise Berger. We will Christen her in a few weeks. 

Albert works so hard both in church and here at home so I don’t have to exert myself. He is a God given man and I feel so blessed to have him in my life.

Last night I dreamt of George, I have not dreamt of him in a long time. But last night he came to me and we sat on the porch like we did last summer and talked. He looked at me with his intriguing eyes and the sun made them green and glittering. Then Linda started to cry and I woke up but I thought about him for a long time last night and even this morning.

Nature is about to burst out in spring, we have had a very long and cold winter and we still have snow on the ground. A couple of days ago we got more snow but I can feel that the sun warms now.  I can see the buds on the trees about to explode and I know that under the new snow crocuses are blooming.


Yours Truly

Kristin

 

Dear Diary,                                                                                  April 15h 1957

 

Finally spring has arrived a tad and Linda is growing beautifully. She is a strong and healthy girl. In four days she will be a whole month old. We are planning the Christening, we will have the reception in one of the church halls and we have ordered a pretty cake from the bakery. We decided to serve sandwiches and cake. Vera is coming over to help me with the sandwiches in a few days.

I have been feeling so tired the last few days. Albert told me to try to rest often with Linda but I feel like I should try to keep up with the household chores. Albert, the sweet man said he would hire someone to help out if I needed it. Maybe I am starting to get a cold or so.

 

Yours Truly

Kristin

 

 

Dear Diary,                                                                             April 19st 1957

 

Vera was here today with her little Donny; he is 10 months old now and can almost walk already. He is a funny little boy who was very interested in Linda. He stood by her cradle and looked at her. Me and Vera laughed and said that they will get married one day. Vera brought over one of her marvelous meat pies. She is truly a great friend.

I am very tired now after a long day preparing for tomorrow’s christening. We made plenty of sandwiches. Egg salad, lax, cream cheese and strawberry puree and roast beef with horseradish cream.

I bumped my leg today and I got an awful bruise on the side of my thigh. Luckily my dress is long enough to cover.

Albert is in the church hall preparing but I am too tired and I am going to bed now. Linda is sleeping already with her arms over her head. I ironed the Christening gown before and put a pink ribbon on it. She will look like a little princess tomorrow. I do hope she won’t be very upset in the church.

Yours Truly

Kristin



Dear Diary,                                         April 24th 1957

I have been ill since the day after the christening. I think I have gotten the flu. I feel very achy and tired. I do hope I won’t make little Linda sick. Perhaps I am a little better today.

The christening was wonderful and everybody brought the sweetest little presents. Vera had made a beautiful blue dress for Linda’s first birthday.


Kristin had to stop reading, she was crying so hard she couldn’t even see the delicate letters anymore.

I wonder if she ever wore that dress for her first birthday. Did she even have a first birthday party or did it all disappear in the grief?

She gently closed the book and put it on the floor. She wasn’t ready to read about her grandmother’s struggle against the leukemia. The struggle that ended five days before her mother’s first birthday. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment