Friday, June 7, 2013

Chapter 9-10


                        9.

“Too late too late a fool could read the signs

Maybe baby you better check between the lines

Please read the letter I wrote it in my sleep

With help and consultation from the angels of the deep”

 

Michael Lee, Jimmy Page, Charlie Jones and Robert Plant

 

Something was pulling her out of her sleep; a strange shrieking noise. She didn’t want to wake up yet. She could feel in her whole body that she was still tired. But it was useless; she rolled to her side and looked at the alarm clock, at least it was 5:30 in the morning.

What the heck is that sound?

She got out of bed and walked downstairs. The noise was fainter here but she could make out that it came from outside;  looked out the kitchen window but she didn’t see anything. She walked to the front of the house and looked out on the street. The noise was louder here. She opened the door, the noise intensified.

Seagulls had landed in the big oak tree across the street. Seagulls in suburbia! They were making a ruckus; screeching and flapping their wings. She backed away into the house again.

Hitchcock warning! Where did the sparrows, the wren and the cardinal go?

Her stomach growled; she hadn’t been eating well the last few days. Not really since her lunch with Robert on Thursday. She stood by the kitchen counter and ate two bowls of Cheerios and milk before the kids woke up.

Then the regular morning rush; go potty, eat breakfast, say bye to daddy, brush teeth, braid hair, get dressed. Jack refused to leave the house without his stuffed dragon. She had to search the whole house until she found it deep under his blanket in bed.  Anna stood outside yelling.

“Mommy! We will be late! Mommy!”

They were running late so she had to take Jack on her shoulders and convince Anna to not say “hi” to the neighbor’s dog and not pick up every stick she saw. The little girl pouted her lips and looked solemn the whole way. Two quick kisses and she was on her way home again.

Rushed up the stairs and turned on the computer. While it booted she had to eat some more. An apple and some almonds. Another email was waiting!

Hope you could sleep well.

It’s 2am and I haven’t been able to fall asleep yet. I can’t stop thinking of you!

And I must confess I am very excited that I might see you on Friday. What would you like to do? Go to a museum again? Have lunch? I am up for anything.

I don’t remember when I felt like this last!

I will try to go to bed now and do my best to not think of you.

She looked at the clock, 9:15, she couldn’t call the grandparents yet.

Oh, please don’t let them have plans! I want to go on Friday! I want to go!

Restless she started to clean off the desk, straightened papers, and threw out old junk. Went over to the bookcase and started to move the books around. Grabbed a rag, started to dust. At 9:45 she couldn’t keep herself from calling anymore.

They didn’t have plans! They could pick the kids up! She almost started to giggle before she hung up. Then she had to run through the house. Yes! Yes! Yes!

Good morning Robert,

I will be all yours on Friday from 11 to 5. Just writing that gives me goose bumps.

Could I come to your place first so we can talk a little and then we can see what we are up for?

I’m so excited!

Kristin

She sent the email and then she went out and checked her Facebook page. She liked a few posts, said “happy birthday” to one friend and shared a link about the environment. Then it started to blink up in the corner. new message from robert.

She went out on her email page.

Robert: good morning! So happy to hear that you are coming.

Kristin: yes it will be fun!

Robert: of course you can come here if you want first and then we can see what we are up for. How did you sleep by the way?

Kristin: I slept well until seagulls woke me up.

Robert: Seagulls?

Kristin: Yeah they were sitting in the oak tree across the street. Making a ruckus!

Robert: Do you normally have seagulls there?

Kristin: No!

Robert: When I’m in my cabin in the summer I can hear them when I wake up.

Kristin: That is one thing. Bu not here in suburbia and not only one, but many.

Robert: Strange!

Kristin: Very!

Robert: Like us.

He said us! Us as in two.

Kristin: How do you mean?

Robert: Strange, extraordinary that we met

Kristin: Yes

Robert: And that we seem to have this strong connection already.

Kristin: Yes. Strange like seagulls in suburbia.

Robert: Lol yes but more enjoyable

Kristin: Yes! You do understand that you are dealing with someone that easily loses herself in emotions.

Robert: How do you mean?

Kristin: Well I tend to rush into things wholeheartedly and my happiness is as high as my sadness is low.

Robert: If you mean that you follow your emotions, then I am the same way. And I believe you have Scandinavian roots (am I right?) and we all know about their dark moods. So I have been forewarned.

Kristin: yes my mother’s grandparents came from Sweden.

Robert: Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Kristin: yeah I guess you are right.

He doesn’t really understand? Or does he mean that he can handle anything?  

Robert: just wanted to say how excited I am. I have to rush now so I will be on time for teaching.

Kristin: ok good luck

Robert: can we chat tomorrow morning?

Kristin: sure around 9

Robert: perfect! See you then.

 

Ok, Kristin, normal life calling!

Sheets to be washed, bathrooms to be cleaned and a garden to tend to.  She stripped the sheets off the beds and put them into the machine. Cleaned both bathrooms; how can something get so dirty in seven days?  When the laundry was done she decided to hang it outside for the first time of the year. The wind was fresh and less filled with ice than just a couple of days ago. The sheets would smell wonderful tonight. Like they always did at grandpa’s.

The tulips were about to burst open and there was a real sense of Spring in the air. She decided to take the kids to the park in the afternoon after Anna had been let out from school. So she prepared dinner; made a meatloaf with mixed root vegetables to just put in the oven when they came home.

Then she pulled the weeds in the front in between the concrete blocks. Looked over at the other’s gardens. So neat! So tidy! So sterile! Not like hers. Hers was filled with flowers everywhere and bushes and shrubs. A reminder of where she came from.

When Jack came home from pre-school he wanted to watch a movie. Normally, Kristin would sit with him in her lap and watch with him, or take the opportunity to read a book or make a phone call. But now she was too restless. She checked her emails ten times but of course she hadn’t gotten anything from Robert. He was teaching but it still felt empty and dull.

She pulled down the sheets, they were very close to dry and they smelled sweet. She made the beds and then she packed her back pack with some juice boxes and crackers.

The park with its ponds and trails made a good distraction for her. The kids were running wild and free. And asked her questions about the birds and the plants.

 

John called and said he had to work late. So her evening hours got rushed. When she finally had both kids in bed and Anna’s lunch made for the next day, it was already 8:50 and she was exhausted.

 

She turned on the computer again. Another email.

 

I got your letter today; it is extremely well written and very moving. Whatever happens between us I will always be a fan orf your writing (lol). I am grateful to you for telling me the truth, for making me feel intensely again.


You should know that you're not the only one who is frightened about this situation and intrigued and scared at the prospect of meeting.

 
I was not only deeply hurt by my ex-wife, but my life turned upside down. Not only did I lose my home; a house I loved and had poured my energy, my hopes and dreams into. Far worse, I lost a whole circle of friends and colleagues that had given me a sense of community.

 
I have dated a few women; but no one has made me feel strongly. I have not even been sure they have liked me as a person or only the surface. (my profession, where I live, etc.). Many women are too occupied with themselves or their career to be capable of true intimacy.  After a few relationships I have learned to be on my guard. And I have been very careful, up until very recently, to keep careful watch over whom I let get close to me. You somehow managed to break through this protective armor that had been impregnable before now. 

 
For the first time in a long time I am starting to feel like myself again. Getting to know you has confirmed this feeling that I am myself again as you seem to like who I am, at least as it is possible to know me through one short meeting, emails and chatting.

 

 
Inside of her a spiky pine cone started to grow. It rubbed against her chest bone and made her very uncomfortable. I am walking on thin ice. If it breaks my whole life will change.

 
She laid awake until 2am, then she finally fell asleep.

 

 

 

 

                                                                    10.

 

“There can be no knowledge without emotion.

We may be aware of the truth, yet, until

we have felt its force, it is not ours.”

Arnold Bennett

 

“Linda!” her grandpa yelled. “Come and help me with the mattresses.”

Her mother came running; her hair in a ponytail and her cheeks flushed.

Grandpa was there to clean up. He always came after daddy left. Now they were going to clean the kid’s room. Kristin knew that Emma’s mattress smelled like pee but she didn’t say anything.

“Kristin!” her mother said out of breath. “Why don’t you take Jonas and Emma down to  Eddie’s Ice Cream?”

“Ok.”

“Here,” grandpa said and reached for his big leather wallet. “Take some money.”

He gave her a five dollar bill. Kristin’s mouth started to water.

“And go to the playground after so grandpa and I can clean up. Don’t’ forget Emma’s pail and shovel.”

“Ok.”

They walked down the street, newly bathed and with newly washed clothes. Emma’s curly blond hair was pulled back into to pigtails and Jonas’ hair was trimmed. Mommy had French braided her hair this morning when it was still wet. Tomorrow for church it would be wavy and her mother had promised she could use one of her fancy clips to keep it away from her face.

Eddies Ice Cream was packed. People even stood in line.

“I want strawberry.”  Emma said and reached her arms up for Kristin to pick her up.

“You can have whatever you want. Grandpa gave us money!”

Jonas craned his neck and tried to look at the board.

“I want a cone with one orange sherbet and one rocky road. Can I have whipped cream too?”

“Sure!”

The 5 dollar bill burned in her hand. Just waiting to be turned into velvety frozen sweetness.

Mint chocolate chip and cherry vanilla. Or butter pecan and chocolate? Or rum raisin and strawberry?

The options, to be able to choose for once, gave her a stomach ache. And her lungs shrunk.

There won’t be any ice cream left when it’s our turn. Because we actually have money today they will run out of ice cream. Don’t want it too much! Then it will run out!

She tried to not even think about the ice cream. But the anxiety was still there.

 

Finally, up by the counter and she could relax.

“I would like one cone with one scoop of orange sherbet, and one scoop of rocky road and whipped cream on top. And one scoop of strawberry in a cup with whipped cream. And one scoop of mint chocolate chip and one scoop strawberry with whipped cream in a cone.”

Jonas stood with his face pressed against the glass. His breath made a foggy circle.

“Hey kid! Stop breathing on the glass.”

Jonas jumped backwards. Anxiously pressed himself into Kristin.

 

She laid in the shade under the tree. Her mouth was cold and the sugar from the ice cream made her a bit woozy. Jonas was swinging and Emma was sitting in the sandbox building sandcastles. Kristin looked at her watch. Soon they could go home. Not yet, maybe in half an hour.

 

The whole apartment smelled of Pine Sol. Emma had gotten a new mattress and the rugs on the floor had been beaten outside. No more bottles on the counter, no more overfull ashtrays and no more dirty clothes overflowing the hamper.

Mommy had made spaghetti and meat sauce and they all sat around the kitchen table and ate. Grandpa had Emma in his lap and fed her small pieces from his plate. Jonas twirled the spaghetti o to his fork and finished his plate as fast as he could.

“Can I watch Scooby Do?” he asked and got up from his chair.

“Yes,” their mother said.

Kristin ate three big plates until her stomach hurt. There was no shortage of food tonight and no one was drunk or screaming.

Grandpa helped to put Jonas and Emma to bed, then he went home.

“Do you want to watch some TV?” Mommy asked and Kristin nodded.

They curled up on the couch together. Kristin leaned into mommy’s body. They watched Dallas. Kristin thought it was boring but it was nice to sit here with mommy.

“Do you miss him?” her mother suddenly asked.

“Yes,” she whispered.

“Me too, but it’s better like this for a while.”

Kristin nodded.

“Until he gets whatever it is out of his system.”

She nodded again.

“Then you know he will be back, and he will be good again.”

“Yes,” she whispered.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment